Is This A Logo??

Is This A Logo??

Tuesday 7 June 2016

Humbled Hard - Horseshoe CanadaCup/OCup Race Review

Canada Cup3/O Cup3, at Horseshoe Resort...headed up Saturday to preride, and get an idea of what to expect with the course.  It's a Canada Cup....so expected to be a little tougher.  Left early in the morning...it was supposed to be scorching hot....and it was!

The plan was to get 3 practice laps in.  An easy first lap for an overall scout ... and yes the course proved to be tough...very similar to last year.  Big climbs, plenty of rock gardens...two of the worst things for my healing ribs.  And it was dry, dusty, and sandy as heck.  Second lap...a little quicker and to practice lines.  Then on one of the last sandy turns of the lap, I washed out and went over the bars...boom!  Popped the middle knuckle of my left FU finger out of joint (happens sometimes)...popped it back in...it swelled and got stiff but was OK.  It was the ribs that weren't too happy...they were screaming at me to be more careful.  It's been 3 weeks...they were healing (slowly)...but after this little dust up, breathing hurt again.  I limped through the rest of the lap...and decided that was enough...2 practice laps.  I would let the ribs rest up...

Clarkie caught this pic of me, after....but luckily all the dirt was on my other side...






Anyways, the tumble was a reminder to take it easy, actually.  I am out of my league, competition wise in Expert category...there is no podium hopes in the OCups; I just like the extra challenge of pushing through 4 laps.  And I am so looking forward to being as healthy as possible for the upcoming 24 hour race.  I decided I would still do this race...but focus on getting through without damaging myself further...









Sorry...was getting too serious and glum there...

So...race morning...it had rained overnight...get to the venue...get prepared.  The sport category is finishing and reporting that the rain has made the course much better...packed the dust and sand and was actually tacky...excellent!

But the ribs were extra achey from yesterday's fall...and were reminding me not to get stupid.  Just treat this race as a good workout...and get through it in one piece.  It was another reminder when the commissaire questioned whether I was in the proper start corral..."Age-wise yes...speed-wise, maybe not."

Anyways...we were finally off...I hung back of the group to stay out of the start commotion...hoping to keep guys in sight as long as possible.  I did OK...until the first rock garden...clipping a pedal and popping out...having to run through...and pull over to let a couple of other racers pass.  Then I clipped a pedal again on the rough rock garden after the nasty switchback climb....stumbled almost fell over the edge...holy crap...take it easy, stupid.  Then getting back on my bike I think I clipped another rock, a tree, and a root before I got back going...  There were a couple of spectators there, cheering me on..."OK, go!  You're clear, no more rocks and roots...you  hit them all!!"   Haha...funny guy.  Apparently this was not going to be my day regardless...  At least ApexTed was not at any of these spots to catch my spoofs...




Anyways...I continued on...more careful than ever, now.  But the sand was packed...and the course was mostly tacky...so no worries there...although the bridges looked greasy...so eased over them.  Then through the feed zone, most certainly dead last, but there was serious, Dan, Bevin, Mike, Mark, JohnG...cheering my slow arse on...and they were there every lap...cheering me through.  Can't say often enough about the good people in this sport!

Through the first lap...into the second...the expert women who started a couple of minutes behind me are catching and passing me.  Lisa passed me...KarenG passed me...fast ladies!!

Through lap 2 into lap 3 and 4...now I am getting lapped...John laps me with a Lapdog hot on his wheel...Seth laps me....Kevin laps me...like I am standing still...All Rock & Road racers.....some fast guys they are!!


John...posing...



I finish...dead last by a significant margin, humbled...but in one piece, body and bike intact with no major incidents.

But many of my friends had a great day!  John, Seth, KarenG, Lisa....all on the podium.  Congrats!

And Blaze had set up a program for the Youth team, and coaches Clarkie and Kevin to mix it up with some of the 3 Rox Race Team pro riders!



And a group of Ontario racers went down to Ohio to race in the Mohican 100 (100 mile mtb race)...DanOfSubstance, Donna, Alexa, Robin, Kate, Louda.  Louda won the overall womens!!  Congratulations, eh!!

It wasn't a total loss for me either.  ApexTed graciously provided me with this pic...



Thanks Ted!!  Grab all of Ted's pics here!



OK, Ted had it easy with Emily...but Ted managed to make even made me look good...on this slooowww day....





Anyways...this one is done.  Yeah, there is fun happening every time I get on the bike; but I am not so happy with this one.  Just finishing is not enough...and just racing to complete without competing is not really in my nature.  So I am struggling with what to do with this coming weekend...another CanadaCup/OCup.  This one is at Hardwood.  I am going today to pre-ride, and scope the course.  Hopefully, I can find a way to do better this time around...

Stay posted!



F'kn A Carl....let's go get 'em!!

No comments:

Post a Comment