Is This A Logo??

Is This A Logo??

Wednesday 10 June 2015

Horseshoe Canada Cup/OCup Race Review

So it was up to the Horseshoe Valley Resort north of Barrie for the 3rd Race in the Ontario Cup Series, which was also the 2nd Race in the Canada Cup Series.




An uneventful drive up with Giant on Sunday morning (I think I actually slept half of the drive), prep and warmup.  Actually got to preride the course on both Saturday and the previous weekend with CoachRob and his crew.  The preride helped immensely as the course is quite technical, with numerous rock gardens, roots, and tricky climbs (huge climbs!!).  CoachRob helping us determine proper lines through some of the sketchier sections.

And then it was time to get into the paddocks...

Some of us did so pensively...(Spinner, posing as a new Greek god??)




Some were A OK with it...(nice new helmet!)...



Some were just happy to be (That's John....he's usually too fast to be caught on camera...)




What a goof!!





A paddock full of speed!!  If you look close you can see a CoachRob, mtbmeister, Giant, JeffS, Harding.  So glad not to be in that category!!



So we get called up the start....chatting with Bob537.  He looks fast, so I intend to keep him in sight if possible.  Especially considering that my friend 'serious' is not racing, still recuperating from a back injury.


Then bang....it was go time!!





Out of the paddock, up the rutted fireroad climb that was the beginning of the start loop.  Yup, Bob537 was fast....leading the pack up the climb.  I negotiated the mass of racers, and ruts, trying to stay in the top 5 or so, and keep Bob537 in sight.

Through the start loop, the feedzone, some doubletrack by the golf course then into a short but steep singletrack climb.  Bob537 was still in sight, but I got caught behind a couple of riders struggling up the climb...and lost sight of him.  The course dipped back down then over a huge rock over.  

Here is a pic of MarkR on the rock over. A great pic caught by ApexTed!!  




The  course then dipped into twisty singletrack, including a very tricky, rooted, steep up and over, and a series of rock gardens.  A short bit of steep doubletrack climb then brought you into more singletrack.  The remainder of the first half of the course then included mostly steep singletrack climbing, with the occasional steep, fast down, all connected by short bits of doubletrack.  

It was in here that I found myself in a battle with John586.  I would pass him on the climbs, but then he would be all over me on the descents.  

Then the course dumped out onto the fireroad climb.  A long, loose, sandy 13% grade that leveled off only to switch back into a steep, sandy 20% grade.  Dusty and slippery, quads burning, and the lungs not able to grab enough air to supply what the body was demanding...try to stand and power up the climb only to spin out in the sand and gravel.  But it was here that I was able to make up time.  Passing three or four racers.  I managed to pass John586 and I could see Bob537 halfway up the climb ahead of me....but I couldn't catch him.  He was on fire!

Then the trail dipped into a fast flowy singletrack descent....a steep up and down with a log-over that required hopping....and a set of sketchy loose sandy switchbacks...and John586 tight on my rear wheel through all of the downs.  Then towards the start-finish, a large rock garden with a loose sandy option around that led back up the hill to twisty single track with a couple of small but very tricky rock gardens....John586 pushing me...

Here's proof....




Then double track through the start-finish, and up into the feedzone to start lap 2...


Heading into the feedzone...



Lap 2 was much of the same...me passing John586 on the climbs...him passing me downhill...then again the damn gravel-sand road climb...I passed him and a couple of lapped racers...then dipped into the singletrack descent.  Then the steep down and up to hop over the log, and in a fatigue fueled fog I had mistakenly grabbed a fistful of front brake....just as I landed from hopping the log.  And, over the bars I went, landing hard on the hardpack trail; and John586 who had been tailing me toppled over top of me.  I told him to go by, as I gathered up my bike and continued.

So now Bob537 would be out of touch....and in fact I didn't see him again.  After the crash, I played it rather safe for the rest of lap 2, and worked to catch back up to John586.  Then through the feedzone I discarded a spent bottle and grabbed a fresh one.

Then into lap 3, John586 pushed to get in front of me....then worked hard to stay in front of me on the climbs...not wanting me in front of him on the downs.  I elected to stay tucked in behind him, and pushed and encouraged him on all of the climbs, then working hard to stay on him during the downs.  He fought hard on the climbs, including the gravel road climb....and eventually it cost him, blowing up on a climb on the last half of the lap.  I passed him, and pushed hard to make sure he didn't try to stay on me...dropping him.  Then I plowed on, as fast as I could push....occasionally checking behind to make sure I was clear...maybe pushing too hard, almost eating dirt again on one of the final rock gardens...

Then finally crossing the finish to the hordes of screaming fans...(OK that one guy officiating the race, and the girl handing out chocolate milk).

I assumed another mid pack finish for me, and toddled off to check the results.  WTF!!??  Second place in my category!!!  I peed a little!!(It's mostly an age thing).  A better result than I expected!  Bob537 had beat me by almost a full 3 minutes...but I managed second!  First podium of the season...

Here is proof...again...




In fact, misconceptionz didn't believe it so he had to take his own pic...





Other shite worth noting....

Ian of the DarkHorseFlyer (Jeremiah's teammate), came in second in his cat.





CoachRob...on the rocks.  He flatted, repaired with a tube, and still came in second in his cat!!





Der Komisar...thedumbopinion....keeping everything in line...




JennR with the evil plate... (another great pic by ApexTed).



Giant had two nasty crashes on the rocks, but still continued on.  Well done, sir!!




In fact, he didn't know it at the time....but he broke a finger on one of the falls...he got it checked the next day....to get this...





JeffS had help from family.




This may have been JeffS first race of the season that he was not on the podium.  He claims I stole it from him.  I am now taking thievery and lock breaking classes...

misconceptionz....almost missed his start time...forgot his yellow socks....dropped his chain twice....then just rode to finish...wise choice...




Oggie is recuperating from a broken collarbone, achieved when secretly pre-riding the course...




Get well soon sir...but don't come back faster!  We know you are still training on the trainer!!

Fig missed this race because he would rather compete in some silly road race...





There was however a cougar sighting this weekend...



(Yes....that's Shenia...)
Must have followed Jerehmiah....or the WolfPack Race Team;  I think they all hail from up in Northern Ontario...

See....I managed to squeeze in a cat pic....ish...

Anyways...what's next??  Well OCup 4/Canada Cup 3 is this coming weekend in Hardwood Ski & Bike...and the course is the PanAm games course.  Shouldn't be tough at all...

If I survive...I'll report....

Hopefully serious is back to race....and Bob537 I will be looking for redemption...

Stay posted!





1 comment: