Is This A Logo??

Is This A Logo??

Thursday 6 August 2015

Six in the Hood - The Un-Review??

So...Why the "Un"- Review??  Well...because I didn't race it.  I planned to...I wanted to.  I was registered.

But, if you recall the previous post, I took away from the last race (the Summer 8 Hr) a couple of 'injuries'...but more on this later.  For now...the Six in the Hood.  A great 6 hour mountain bike relay race held in Port Colborne on the Hood Trails.  Race is put on by Short Hills Cycling Club.  Great, fun, single track trails!  If you love rocks!  Plenty of shale type rocks.

So I ended up giving my registration to this gent...




This is Dave...

Not this Dave....this is a different Dave





Yes...different people can have the same name...in fact there is a Saint who shares my own name...

Yes, he is often depicted in pictures like this....




Yup....Saint Riot...

Anyways, back on track, man!!  So Dave, for an opened sleeve of Clif Bloks (what??  I like Clif Bloks!), purchased my registration and did the race.  Through the rocks, the heat, and the rocks...his son Oscar (we won't go there with the name thing...) keeping him fed and watered in the pit.  But Dave hit the wall and was considering quitting at the 3 hour mark...only half way through the race (yeah, I'm good at math...).  Until thedumbopinion, who was officiating the race, reminded Dave that quitting would be letting Riot (me...not the saint) down....and to get back going.  And Dave did....and completed 9 laps (90kms), in the six hours.  Well done Dave!!  Hopefully the experience was worth the pain I caused you....and you don't experience my malady...(more on that later...).

In case you didn't notice, behind Dave in the pic above was this guy...


Giant...

How did Giant do in the race??  Well, midway through, he was actually first overall!!  And then on about lap 10, he tore out a sidewall and flatted (did i mention there are rocks on this course??).  After, two tubes failed to repair the damage (torn sidewalls are like that), he picked up his bike, ran 2kms to the pit, replaced his wheel and continued.  And still took first in his category!!





This dude is turning into a real story!!  Well done, Giant!!

Who else??  Power Paul was there representing BicycleWorks!!  Came in 8th!!  Nice work, eh!!

14Stone raced and not only didn't ruin a bike, although he did damage a tire on a rock (did I mention there were rocks on this course??), he and his partner podiumed (2nd) in a tag team category!!  Nice work for a Lapdog!!





JC also raced....and after a nasty crash on the rocks (did I mention....sorry...I won't do it again...)...that tore up a few areas of skin (I will spare you the pics...)...he also managed a podium spot (2nd) in his category!!  Everyone kickin' ass!!


Obviously JC is tougher than me!!

What did I do on the weekend??  Besides have a beer on the deck with Blaze??

Actually Blaze also got out on a bike this weekend; first time since crushing his wrist in May.  Good news!!  Here he is with a much too closeup of misconceptionz, Seth, and SonOfSeth...




So what is my deal??

As I mentioned in the last post, last weekend I woke up on Sunday (the day after the 8 hr), with a huge lump on my right sit down bone...yes....right where one sits down....right where a mountain biker makes contact with the saddle.  Apparently a saddle sore that had abscessed.

By Monday (the soonest I could get to a doctor), the thing had grown to 9cm x 6cm.  Measure it out....that is huge!!!  I scared the cats dragging that thing around the house!!








Again....I will spare you any pics of the thing...except for maybe this one...





Just kidding...that's not really it...although he does kind of look like me...

My swollen cheeks are much prettier....





Anyways, I did get to the doctor, and prescribed antibiotics...so the thing has shrunk significantly.  I have to say, though....it is a bit disconcerting getting that area checked by a doctor...I took a pic during...




Although, I am sure Lois speaks for all ladies reading that I have no friggin idea...of course she is right.   (Is it just me or does that doctor kind of look like Unglued??)

OK enough of the nasty stuff.

Also, I mentioned last post that I injured some ribs in a fall at the 8 hr.  Apparently worse than I thought, and it will be another 4 weeks until they heal properly, but I will be riding and racing before that (hopefully!!!).

 In fact, I have been out on the singlespeed a couple of times....and will be again today.  Standing up the entire ride.  Don't think that is a good workout??  Try it sometime.  Just have to be careful not to crash again.  Ribs don't like that....and they take out by collapsing a lung.

Speaking of the singlespeed, it's titanium.  So I am going to take the rear gears off the carbon Stumpie and put them on the titanium Raijin...and ride and race the Raijin for the remainder of the season.  Especially since most of the remaining races are marathon/endurance type races...it is much more compliant.  As far as the  stumpie....




Actually it is the fastest bike I have ever ridden....and it will be back in service for O'Cup season next year, or any race under 2 hours or so.

So, I have missed SITH...and it doesn't look likely that I will be able to race Buckwallow this weekend....so the Grease Monkey Challenge 5 hour looks like might be next...or Crank???

Stay posted!!

No comments:

Post a Comment