Is This A Logo??

Is This A Logo??

Thursday 14 September 2017

Thumbs Away

So...this being injured thing means that I haven't been racing...which makes it a little tough to do race reports.  And although Lois thinks I am her Superman, and Fig looks at me in a way I am not totally comfortable with, I really am not that exciting that I can make worthy stuff up.  No Steven King here...although I did see this the other day...



Scarier than Oggie...

What is scary, is how the 'healed' thumb is looking.  The cast is now off and the bone is healed but...





Apparently the ligament holding the knuckle together is gone...meaning the thumb bends awkwardly when it isn't supposed to...





So I have been on the bike...cuz I don't run...not well anyways...





And I don't race cross...but maybe I should...





So I was initially road riding with the cast on, to try to stay in a bit of shape (other than round)...but this last week the cast came off...so I have been mountain biking again...finally!!

However, because of the missing ligament, the thumb is wonky, so mtb-ing requires a splint to keep the joint in place...but the splint needs to be heavily modified, which I am not so creative to do...





Or heavily taped, which I am able to do and have been doing...so far, successfully.  So far, I have been sticking to mostly calmer, non-technical trails, but as I get more confident in the thumb and my taping ability, I will progress to attempting more challenging trails.  There are plenty of local technical options...the ultimate goal would be to be able to keep up to the BicycleWorks crew on our local trials.

Anyways...Lois is glad that I am back on the mountain bike...cuz she was getting antsy about the classy ladies I was meeting on road rides...





And then there is the option of reconstructive surgery to repair the thumb during the off-season (is there an off season any more???).  Anyways...that is an option I am seriously considering...although it means another 8 weeks...it's good to have choices...





For now, the plan is to be able to take part in a couple of the late season races...so look out...I may just be the guy who is in your way in one of the upcoming events...

Perhaps the Fall 8 Hour??

Stay posted!



Happy Newfie Birthday!!




No comments:

Post a Comment