Is This A Logo??

Is This A Logo??

Tuesday 12 July 2016

Pie-athlon 200 and Eager Beaver 100K

So, after a couple of weeks of whining about my hurty spots, I figured that I had now recovered enough that it was time for some more lengthy training rides...so that is what happened this weekend.  Besides, I have been eating like a horse since the 24 HR...mostly nutritious, but sometimes just whatever was within reach.  One of the cats is still missing (don't tell Lois!!).



Ah, well that explains why I have seen Yoda wandering around the house licking his arse...

Anyways, my kit was starting to get tight...









So, the first ride was Saturday, a 200km ride planned by my buddy SteveS.  Steve had never done a 200k ride, so him and his friend TimK planned the route to include three bakery stops and dubbed the ride the pie-athlon...(you didn't think I came up with the titles of these posts myself did you?).  They then invited all the strangest people they knew (ie: they posted it on facebook), which is how I ended up on this ride.  Included in the group was egggman, whom I know well, and KateMC who I have met on occasion.

Kate promptly made fun of my white shorts...apparently there is a rule about no white shorts (I didn't get that memo)...I'm not sure why such a rule.  Anyways, she took a pic of my water bottle to prove the point...





So, I have ordered up my non-white riding gear for our next ride...








So, anyways at 6:30ish am we headed out for the first 50 km leg of the loop...into a nasty headwind.  Luckily Christian would choose to be the hero and pull for most of this loop...and for most of the day actually.  At least I think his name was Christian...he had such a thick accent (either German or Japanese...so thick it was hard to tell).  Anyways, I was thankful to have him pull...as I have mentioned before, it takes me a good hour to warm up....and at 6:30am maybe longer.  Plus, everyone else in the group seemed to be experienced roadies, and faster than my mtb arse.

Eventually, we made it to our first stop...in the town of Millbank, I think...





At a very nice bakery...where they had a proponderance of pie...





I don't remember the name of the restaurant....but SteveS has all the great details on his blog...check it out here www.ridecyclespin.com


egggman also had a brief post of the ride on his blog at The Old Singlespeed




TimK was the PieMaster of the day



As we still had a couple of pie stops to hit during this ride...I did not indulge at this first stop...I'm still trying to drop the 75 lbs I have put on since the 24 Hr race.  However, as we took off for the next 50km leg of the ride, still into the wind, the pie must have fueled the rest of the group...as I found myself towards the back of the line just holding on...







As we continued, the winds let up...but the clouds on the horizon became ominous...I'm pretty sure I saw the odd orc behind an occasional tree...

I eventually actually started warming up...and then the rain came...drenched but warm...then the rain eased off as we pulled into our second stop...in Drayton, I think.  This time, feeling like I needed the fuel...I opted for a piece of pie (French Rhubarb...not really sure what makes it French...), and a coffee...






And glad I did...as we headed out for the third 50km of the trip...the skies opened up agail (just cuz I cleaned my glasses, I think) and the rain poured.  Felt almost good though...the weather had climbed to dang hot...  And SteveS fooled us a bit...he added a bit of a loop...that made this third 50km closer to 70.  So by the time we rolled into Fergus, we were ready to refuel.  I did so with another coffee, and a vegan chocolate chip cookie...good enough.

As we were getting ready to go egggman discovered a flat...which extended our stay a bit (luckily no one saw me puncture his tire....).





Finally, we were off again.  The rain had stopped, the sun had come out....and it was scorching hot again.  Then somewhere in the middle of nowhere (does that make sense???), we hit 200km...still not near the finish.  Typical.  Can't have the 200km ride just be 200...or heaven forbid...come up short...even though my arse was ready to call it quits for the last hour...

Anyways...at 211km we finished our 200km ride...and rolled to the vehicles at just over 7 hours.  Done.  Great time, great ride, good workout....good jokes, with great people.  Overall...awesome.  Thanks SteveS!!!  Let's do it again!!  Just not today...

The end.
Not...that ride was Saturday.

Yesterday, (Monday)....was time for another...

DanOfSubstance is holding what could be one of the most challenging races of the year in August....the 13th.  A 100 mile gravel grinder, dubbed the Eager Beaver 100.  In May, Dan invited me to pre-ride/scout out the route.  I posted about this ride here.  The 100 mile has a boatload of climbing...almost 8500 feet...all in the first 80km.

Anyways, if you are not willing to race 100 miles...the race also provides 100km, and 50km options.  The details are at the Substance Projects website....here.  So, this time Dan invited me to scout out the 100km route...it should be easier than the 100 miler, right?  Except that Dan also invited Nick and Damian...two young, fit, semi-pro racer types...great, eh.  (Actually, Damian manages The Bicycle Tailor...a new bike shop in Fergus...so if you live in the area, check it out!)

Of course...Dan showed up late...and then had alot to chat about...so our 9:30am ride got going closer to 11am.  So, once we got going...the route started out with some grassy double track climbs...then onto the gravel, then you will hit the first major climb of the loop at just the 10km mark.  Remember...takes me forever to warm up...at least an hour...but we hit this first climb just 20 minutes or so into the ride.  I struggled...500m of steep, loose, rocky climb...staged, of course...so when you think your done, you turn a corner only to see more climbing....at least 3 of these stages...maybe even four...can't remember exactly...too much blood in my eyes.  Dan has dubbed this climb the MurderHorn.  I think the others waited 75 minutes or so (OK, maybe not quite...) for me to crest the summit...

A quick recovery at the top...then a gravel descent.  Then about 20kms of gravel road, fire road, and double track.  At the 30km mark is the second major climb this lap...off a short bit of pavement...onto gravel road.  150m climb on 3 steep stages...then that is mostly it for the major climbing on the 100km loop.  There are the odd roller, and minor climbs but half of the overall climbing of the 100 miler.

The remainder of the loop was a short bit of pavement...then all gravel...almost bone flat....with a few rollers in the last 10-15 kms or so.  Almost easy...unless you are racing...or chasing younger, fitter, racer types.  But again...somewhere in the middle of nowhere we hit 100km...well short of the finish.  Then finally, eventually, longingly...the finish...grassy double track climbs...leading into a fun fast doubletrack/fireroad descent then done.  4hours 50 minutes in...the 100km was 118kms....so Dan is looking for ways to shorten the loop to get closer to 100km.

But you have options....100miles, 100kms, 50kms.  What are you ready for?  Pick your poison and register here.  I will tackle the 100 miler...just have to get into better shape...

I didn't have pics of this ride ready for this post...maybe for Thursdays...

As for today...some recovery I think...
So, until Thursday...

Stay posted!

How I caught Lois...









No comments:

Post a Comment